Gandaki Agreement

The Gandaki Agreement: What It Is and What It Means

The Gandaki Agreement is a significant agreement signed between Nepal and India in 1996. The agreement covers the sharing of the waters of the Gandaki River, also known as the Narayani River in India, which flows through both countries. The river basin covers an area of about 46,000 square kilometers, with the majority of the basin located in Nepal.

The agreement was a result of several years of negotiations between the two countries, with the objective of resolving the long-standing issues related to water sharing in the Gandaki River basin. The agreement outlines the sharing of water between the two countries for a period of 25 years, with an option to renew the agreement for another 10 years.

Under the agreement, Nepal is entitled to use 80% of the water from the Gandaki River, while India is allowed to use the remaining 20%. Nepal has the right to construct hydropower projects on the river, with India having the first right to buy the power generated from these projects. The agreement also provides for the establishment of a Joint Committee, consisting of representatives from both countries, to oversee the implementation of the agreement.

The Gandaki Agreement has significant implications for both Nepal and India. For Nepal, the agreement provides a framework for the development of the hydropower sector, which has the potential to become a major source of revenue for the country. The agreement will also help Nepal to manage the water resources in a sustainable manner, which is critical for the agricultural sector, which accounts for a significant portion of the country`s economy.

For India, the agreement ensures a stable supply of electricity from hydropower projects in Nepal, which is important for meeting the energy requirements of the country. The agreement also strengthens the ties between the two countries, which is critical for maintaining regional stability and economic development.

In conclusion, the Gandaki Agreement is a landmark agreement between Nepal and India that addresses long-standing issues related to water sharing in the Gandaki River basin. The agreement provides a framework for the development of the hydropower sector in Nepal, while ensuring a stable supply of electricity for India. The agreement also strengthens the ties between the two countries, which is critical for maintaining regional stability and economic development.